Where to download?

Moderators: Andreas Mohr, rah

Guntram

Where to download?

Post by Guntram » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:11 am

Hello Brukerers,

I wanted to try the linux version of OPUS and all I got was the registration formular and now the registration email.

But I still don't know, where to download OPUS for Linux?

Any advice would be appreciated,
Guntram

Andreas Mohr

Post by Andreas Mohr » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 pm

Dear (prospective) customer,

the modus operandi is supposed to be to directly obtain a download link (after filling in contact info, that is - directly on the subsequent page) and _then_ later receive application-side registration data (to be able to do much more than limited processing in demo mode) from our customer service, to the contact address one submitted.

The last generation (as known to me per the last redesign) of the download page should offer something like:

You will receive a reply from a Bruker Optics Service Representative (usually within one working day), offering registration data for your evaluation and installation/usage instructions (English, German; also available in directory /usr/share/doc/opus/ in the installed OPUS package).

Please proceed to the download link here:

Download

(note download link)

If for some reason the download cannot be successfully completed, then best post a followup here.

Thank you for your interest & HTH,

Andreas Mohr

Guntram

Post by Guntram » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello again!

Downloaded/alien-ed and installed it.

Now the log-file from the start-skripts says:
./opus: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have libexpat1 (as suggested for Ubuntu 9.04) installed on my Ubuntu 10.04..
/lib/libexpat.so.1
/lib/libexpatw.so.1
How to improve this? Need some symbolic link?

Thanks for another help!

Andreas Mohr

Post by Andreas Mohr » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:10 pm

libexpat is one of the libraries with a version transition in more recent distributions, indeed.
And I'm afraid that the current installer script doesn't contain a workaround hack (manually symlinking the .1 version to the potentially easily _incompatible_ .0 version) for libexpat yet (only for certain other libraries with similar issues encountered in the past).

So currently I can only advise to either (preferred) install a distribution-compatible .0 libexpat in parallel (or perhaps even copy a suitable library file manually to /usr/lib/opus/bin, to avoid system-wide damage), or (less preferred) to symlink it, again in the _isolated_ /usr/lib/opus/bin directory, via cd /usr/lib/opus/bin && ln -s /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 libexpat.so.0

Note that I'm currently working on getting a pretty flexible CMake-based OPUS build environment finished, which (once most installation and distribution parts are covered) means that it will be a heck of a lot easier to provide distribution-specific OPUS builds instead of merely a single RHEL5-based build - which thus will allow for _precise_ package contents with proper dependencies specified, for each of the fully supported Linux distributions (which, on the other hand, likely will not be too many after all). This would then do away with a large part of the current hacks and workarounds in the installation script.

Any questions?

Yours sincerely

Andreas Mohr

Guntram

Post by Guntram » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Okay...I got it up and running via symlinking libexpat vs. libexpat.0 in the opus-bin-directory.

Is it intended, that it runs with several windows instead of one like the windows-version?

Thanks,
Guntram

Andreas Mohr

Post by Andreas Mohr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Guntram wrote:Okay...I got it up and running via symlinking libexpat vs. libexpat.0 in the opus-bin-directory.
Nice!
Guntram wrote:Is it intended, that it runs with several windows instead of one like the windows-version?
Well... yes and no. Precisely modelling the MDI windows operation has its issues, thus it's currently being displayed as individual top-level child frames. Yes, it's fix-sized, it has menubar issues, and it's "not exactly pretty".
C.f. GIMP with its issues in deciding which interface to display properly, I'm afraid.

:arrow: I took a note of this particular sufficiently severe complaint.
(like I'm doing with all other important customer input)

Any further questions or requirements?

Thank you,

Andreas Mohr