Few questions regarding this

Moderators: Andreas Mohr, rah

teamsix

Few questions regarding this

Post by teamsix » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Since a lot of the topics on here are quite old, I have a few questions below. I FINALLY got Opus running on an old CentOS 5 platform but it took me hours.

1) What is the latest version of CentOS or Ubuntu this will run on? Why will this not run on a linux platform that is not already EOL'd?

2) I downloaded about 80 dependency libraries in order to get this running, mainly something called postgresql and WXU_2.8, since I needed old versions there wasn't one rpm I could download and run I had to download the deprecated code one at a time and add them, there has to be an easier way?

3) Does the linux version of the software not have the diagnostic mode?

4) Is there an Opus Lab for linux?

Andreas Mohr

Re: Few questions regarding this

Post by Andreas Mohr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:17 am

Hello,

I'm sorry for the large delay! (board software does not offer global New Posting notification feature, and my own setup had been disabled in recent times)

1) On the RedHat side, RHEL/CentOS 5 and 6 are known to work.

Because I was experiencing larger-than-expected environment trouble (insufficiently cross-platform "infrastructure software", again) plus other projects, this prevented me from creating a new release (also for newer stable distros) with a sufficiently current OPUS code base in recent times.
And indeed, being forced to run a package on a Linux platform that is EOL'd "is not nice" (security updates, ...). A (sufficiently ugly) interim solution might be to cleanly lock up this old instance in a Virtual Machine.

2) I will say openly that I'm not used to it being *that* problematic (installation hints ought to be provided by README in hopefully sufficient detail - I'm trying hard to keep it updated). Given tools such as yum (for the RedHat side of distros...), automatic dependency resolution and subsequent install usually works without too much trouble - on "currently supported distribution versions", that is... (which might just be the root cause that you are alluding to)
Your story sounds like a very painful experience - sorry!

3) Could you clarify which feature exactly you mean by "diagnostic mode"?

4) Due to existing code base, porting of OPUS to any Non-Windows platforms (well let's call that what it is restricted to at the moment: Linux) is a very daunting task. As such the current version is intended to carry an "early preview" status (at least compared to what a full-featured, fully stable and compatible version would be) - it supports many basic OPUS functions (~ dialogs) in hopefully sufficient stability, however "special", "extended" or "problematic" features will not be supported (/sufficiently). This, unfortunately, includes Opus Lab (AFAIK that one also uses certain VB scripts, which will most certainly never be supportable, unless certain very special VBS compatibility toolkits can be used).
That said, we are generally working towards sufficient cross-platform compatibility from the outset, it's just that that won't be done in one thunderstorm's night.

Thank you for your inquiry!