Locked all user accounts

Moderators: Andreas Mohr, rah

JConley

Locked all user accounts

Post by JConley » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:45 pm

Hello there,

I seem to have made a huge mistake.

I was setting up users in the OPUS software in preparation for a system we are rolling out where only those specifically trained to use the LUMOS will have access to it.

I set up all the users I wanted and then proceeded to lock all the users thinking "lock" meant "lock settings" so no one could alter passwords. Very quickly I realized "lock" meant "lock out the user"; I could not log in with any user/pw combination.

Is there a work around for this besides completely reinstalling the OPUS software? Will that even do it?

For some reason I feel less foolish asking this forum than my contacts at Bruker.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Absent-Minded User

JConley

Re: Locked all user accounts

Post by JConley » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 pm

I found if I delete the UserDatabase.dat (copied it so I could restore it after) I can log in as a generic operator in the default workspace. Unfortunately, I cannot manage users (User Management) as the operator-type user.

So while I didn't REALLY make any progress, I have a solution that I just need some outside help with.

If I could get someone else's UserDatabase.dat file, I can put that in place, log-in with the new admin credentials and start building my UserDatabase.dat again.

Alternatively, if anyone knows a way to edit the UserDatabase.dat file manually, there should be some "lock" trigger in the file somewhere. I could delete that trigger and unlock the users.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Andreas Mohr

Post by Andreas Mohr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:22 pm

I just sent a pristine copy of UserDatabase.dat, since this appears to be what one is usually doing in such a case.

However, I am contemplating filing an issue at opusbugs if it turns out that OPUS is missing a safeguard to prevent the user from [expletive-laden phrase deleted].

Thank you for this potentially very useful report!

Andreas Mohr

Post by Andreas Mohr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:48 pm

I just filed the following report:
Hello,

I just got a report where someone stated that they set up the users that they wanted, then once finished they proceeded to "lock" all users, mistaking "lock" as "lock user settings" rather than "lock out the user".

--> could not log in with any user / pw combination --> user wailing their teeth and gnashing their tears, or some such. ;-)

So, I guess there are two issues to be fixed/improved here:
a) "lock" description is not detailed enough, should be more detailed ("lock out user")
b) OPUS user management likely is missing a safeguard check (which e.g. warns once the last remaining user is about to get locked, or other critical conditions)

The safeguard check could be implemented as simple maintenance-reduced (single resource string, ...) catch-all handling, i.e.:
if (badConditionA || badConditionB || badConditionC)
ReportErrorItSeemsUserIsAboutToMakeOPUSUnaccessibleStillWantProceedOrNot()

Thanks,

Andreas Mohr

JConley

Post by JConley » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Andreas,

Thank you for the help. You put an end to my worry!

Sincerely,

Not-quite-a-power-user